year: 2007 instrumentation: solo violin and string orchestra
commissioned by: Rieko Suzuki published: Wai-te-ata Music Press
score sample: click here
This work is based on a previous composition by Jack Body, a setting for two female voices of the love sonnets of Michelangelo, composed in 1982 for dance/choreographer Michael Parmenter. Body has remained fond of the melodic material composed many years ago and has continued to be moved by Michelangelo’s poetry, which honours male beauty and laments the ravages of age.
In this version, Body reworks the musical material, intensifying its emotional quality to convey the essence of Michelangelo’s extraordinary poems.
1. 'S un casto amor, s' un una pieta superna'
2. 'Passa per gli occhi al core in un momento'
3. 'D'altrui pietoso e sol di se spietato'
4. 'Veggio nel bel viso, signor mio'
5. 'Non posso altra figura immaginarmi'
6. 'Se' da' prim' anni aperto un lento e poco...'
7. 'Caro m'e il sonno, e piu l'esser di sasso'
for Meditations on Michelangelo at